Tuesday, September 20, 2016

PLEASE GHOSTWRITE FOR MY DEMO



I had about six niggas on my payroll
I had a white bitch eatin' out my asshole!

It's de rigeur to hate on SpaceGhostPurrp these days, mainly for his shitty music and personality, but don't act like his YouTube playlists of Memphis rap tapes wasn't lit like Thich Quang Duc. That channel created a new lane for creepy white guys who like Adult Swim, saving the Boneses and Lil Ugly Men of the world the indignity of having to ape Necro in 2010. If Purrp had played his cards right and kept his mouth shut, he could have rode A$AP's Yam to some kind of tastemaker residency at the NYU Institute of Advanced Streetwear or whatever.

What's the next frontier of era mining? I won't be mad if it's Louisiana rap tapes. This early Critical Condition tape ain't a revelation along the lines of "Runnin-N-Gunnin," but I would rather hear a Purrpian rehash of their Rap-A-Lot/Suavehouse rehash than another post-Keef warbler talkin bout the Xans in his YSL fannypack. And their forward-thinking attitude toward buttplay? Callin shots like Nostradanus.

If the rapping sounds especially similar to UGK, it might not be coincidence. Unclear whether they'd hooked up with Pimp & Bun at this point, but 2008 Vibe Noz alleged Bun was writin' they shit on the CC Waterbound LP.

5 comments:

  1. Had no idea that Bun had ghost-written some of that album but I guess it kinda makes sense now. That album is such a country-rap treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now I really want to see this youtube playlist

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he deleted it. Unfortunate because it was the single best thing he will ever create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least, I can still play this http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2013/10/spaceghostpurrp-halloween-playlist
      more good things he blessed us with: 1) funny interview with Nardwuar on youtube and 2) one of his beats was rapped over by Young Thug

      Delete